View or search for all towns »

Mining in Rossland

I was just wondering what people think about the news that test mining will start in Rossland in the fall, with a fully-fledged mine opening in two years' time if the test results warrant it.

https://www.rosslandnews.com/news/mine-exploration-company-bullish-on-old-rossland-mine-properties/

I'm not a fan of it. Just leave Rossland the way it is. The worlds already getting too hectic and too fast, I don't want any part of it. Just my opinion. :)

it would have been nice to experience Rossland in its heyday. Maybe it will boom again.

What has gold mining ever done for Rossland!

I trust your question was sarcasm, right?

Gold mining created Rossland. If you were unaware of this fact perhaps you should do a little research in to the mater.

@Kaesy, you should make a visit to the Rossland Museum.. its a really great place for info into Rosslands history.

@ Rob34 "it would have been nice to experience Rossland in its heyday."

You're absolutely right, I think open sewers and widespread prostitution are the two things missing from our little town.

Walking some of the streets recently, the "open sewer" concept is still obvious today given the lack of respect shown by some dog owners.  

The point of my original post was to find out how Rosslanders old and new feel about the fact that mining is to be started up again. Is anyone concerned about, say, extra-heavy vehicles in the town, possibility of dust particle pollution, excessive noise, how it might affect wildlife, or access to trails, etc.

Or should we embrace mining, which may bring money, more people, and more housing to the town?

@ Glenn

Well done for crow barring dog poo into the thread.

It takes much longer than 2 years to go from exploration to mine. There are numerous permitting and review processes that happen before a mine is even considered.  Also it takes many years of exploration to ensure a discoverey is sizeable to mine. The company would also have to finace the exploration and development of the area. 100's of projects are happening like this around BC at the moment and the majority will not turn into a mine. Even if a deposit is deemed economic to mine the project is vigorously reviewed by the federal and provincial goverenement. An example of an economic deposit that wasnt approved would be the Ajax project just outside of Kamloops. I guess what Im trying to say is that a little exploration work around Rossland DOES NOT mean we will have a mine in our backyard anytime soon. 

KFoubi – you are correct, I should have said the feasibility study for a full-fledged mine would start in the third year, following two years of testing. 

KFoubi – you are correct, I should have said the feasibility study for a full-fledged mine would start in the third year, following two years of testing. 

But on the plus side , strip mining prevents forest fires.

I heard about this from a friend who is doing the soil testing for this project. She brought up some interesting points including the fact that the creation of the mine will cause noise and dust pollution from the explosives, it’s likely to interfere with the seven summits bike trial (which could be bad for the tourism that we get from mountain bikers coming to ride that trail), more heavy trucks and traffic through our town, it will be a huge scar on the mountain that will be visible from the highway, it may offer jobs but not necessarily to people that already live in the area, and if people do move here to work the mine the housing market will continue to increase. Also apparently the mine will destroy an area of serpentine grassland that is rare to southern bc. The only pro we could come up with is that once the project is over (many many years from now) they have to restore the land as best they can which means cleaning up all the old equipment that’s littered up there. It doesn’t seem like the goal of this project is to help out or support our town. Our tourist industry is thriving and the town is ever growing, maybe we don’t need a mine.. 

This friend also sent me a link with a bit more info on the plans and uses for the magnesium http://kootenaybiz.com/bizblog/article/massive_750_million_deal_for_magnesium_deposit_near_rossland

@Jlou I think all of your points concern the magnesium project; not related to the gold exploration efforts that this thread started with. The magnesium project is in Record Ridge area; the gold project closer to town on some of the claims that got us all here.
The magnesium project deal that you link to fell through anyway: http://www.whyresources.com/_resources/news/nr_2017_11_07.pdf

Kfoubi makes excellent points about gold exploration, which is far from mining.

oh gosh you are right... well thanks for letting me know!!

This re-investigation of the gold potential in our area is not new. Anybody remember ‘Antelope Resources’ who even managed to briefly have an office in town?

But won't the points that Jlou brought up, i.e. noise, dust pollution, traffic, etc., still apply to gold mining or any type of mining, or even the testing/exploring?

I can remember when Pacific Vangold was engaged in active mining within city limits in the mid 90s. The adit was visible from the street and fewer than 200 meters from a residence. Rossland is not as far removed from mining activity as new residents think. 

It sounds as though residents who have been in Rossland a long time would be ok with it then, which is good.

Although I am obviously aware of the town's mining history, I just thought it sounded like something that could spoil the town (as it is today) and surroundings – which is why I wondered what other residents thought.

newrosslander, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that long term residents think it's a good idea. I read all the comments and I can't see that. I've been here over 20 years and hate the idea of having the beautiful landscape/environment raped and pillaged just so some ( and definitely not me) can profit from it. I foresee a huge nightmare coming. Again, just my thoughts. 

With clearcuts on every hillside, constant pulp trucks through town, and a smelter next door, I imagine most people here can appreciate that there are significant pros and cons to all industry projects. Not all mining towns are awful, but some are. Not all projects have the same size footprint, or impact on a community. Not all companies are socially responsible, but some are. Not all beautiful landscapes have previously been thoroughly raped and pillaged and profited from, but judging by some of the old photos, ours has.

Exploration work is pretty low-impact, for the most part; certainly much lower than logging operations. And it usually goes nowhere; not even as far as a feasibility study. There'll be plenty of time to do your homework, form your opinion, and then rally the troops for whichever side you support.

Hmmmm, I will tell you what.  Maybe we should have all cars in town banned: they cause pollution!  Yes of course, there are car horns, they cause noise pollution!  Let's not forget street lights: they cause light pollution.  We shouldn't forget all those ore trucks that pass through town: they cause polluttion.  Damn, I almost forgot, we need to ban the sun that blares down upon us: that thing causes cancer.

I think we all should wrap ourselves up in a cacoon of some sort and hide from the real world.

@Les Anderson
I don't feel that's a productive way to contribute to a discussion. You're extrapolating every concern to the exteme degree. I don't think it's unreasonable to try to reduce pollution without jumping to the conclusion that requires banning everything.