We need your input! What are the opportunities and challenges of legalizing recreational cannabis for rural B.C. communities?

Understanding how rural regions of British Columbia will be impacted by legalized recreational cannabis is incredibly important particularly for the socioeconomic well being of the disenfranchised communities that have become ecologically favourable niches for producing cannabis.

I am inviting you to participate in a Thoughtexchange as part of the research project called “Transitioning to the New Rural Cannabis Economy.”  I am leading this research initiative that will take place in British Columbia over the next couple of years. If you wish to share your thoughts about this topic within the exchange, you are asked to review the informed consent to get started. If you are ok with the informed consent and agree to participate, you can:

1. Text "Hello" to 728-55 and enter the 9-digit participation code: 941-342-330  or

2. Use the weblink: https://my.thoughtexchange.com/#102528419

You may also wish to consult the project webpage for more detail or view the invitation video.

Please forward this invitation to your networks – we value all input!

Photos: 

Do you mean like completing another review spurred by what the federal government called a “growing concern” about the “sedative, stimulant, tranquilizing, or hallucinogenic properties” of such drugs and their effect on individuals and society overall? Just read the Le Dain Commission of Inquiry into the Non-Medical Use of Drugs done in the early 70s.

If they think people aren’t using marijuana and other substances now, they need to open their eyes. Those who use will continue to use, and those who don’t, won’t.

...the best thing society can do is stop worrying about what might be and concentrate instead on what is...John

I'm way too high to take part in a quiz right now. Can i do it tomorrow?

Hi John, Thanks for your sharing your thoughts.  I agree with your sentiments.  This particular study is more concentrated on the socioeconomic impact to our region, recognizing there have been prevalent pockets of cannabis production where communities are fairly reliant on the current "underground" economy.  This isn't particularly unique to the Kootenays, it's happening all over rural B.C. 

The theory is that many local people may be without jobs, income, and support for their families with legalization, if current participants can't transition to the legalized regime.  Or maybe they will easily transition, and even more people will enter into the industry, and the Kootenays will be better known for cannabis.  Is that desirable?  I don't know, that's why we're asking.  It would be great if you texted your thoughts into the exchange.  It sounds like you have lots to share.  Tracey

BackcountryBob, yes.  The exchange (it isn't really a quiz) is open until June 28th.

A new cannabis culture that promote hope and change, or just throw the public some crumbs.

Behind the scenes, the government has been regulating and monopolizing the industry while insuring that they won’t interfere with the major pharmaceutical companies. How dare the government be allowed to promote the use of cannabis concentrates, capsules and topical creams to relieve pain, stress and other conditions reducing the quality of life? These cannabis products eliminate the risks of smoking or the side effects of the prescribed or on the shelf medications.

Heavy regulations will shut down the free market of cannabis while gmo seed and irradiated cannabis are reducing the plants medical benefits and the average medical and/or recreational user of cannabis. The priamry unreported reason our government is proposed legalizing recreational use of cannabis is to increase tax revenue and try and regulate the market. Without a free and fair market, the market will continue underground.

The urban population exceeds the rural population for the first time in recorded history. The socioeconomic effect of the coming new cannabis culture on rural areas will be essentially null. The effects will be most noticeable in the urban areas that are extremely dependent on others. The public that lives in urban areas will have no option but to buy government weed from government shops with little to no choice over strain options, quality and potency.

Wreck Rinse Repeat is the economic model used today that based upon fictional assets. It’s disappointing how the financial cabal promotes this model as resilient, but only hands the wreck component to society to handle. Of coursed this is allowed to happen, if not promoted, by the higher level elected marionettes. A crisis is an opportunity for both good and bad, just depends on your morals and ethics. The next major crisis brewing is the underfunded pensions based upon fictitious assets, aka debt.

Only the symptoms are reported on or treated, and some wonder why there is an increase of stress, anxiety and other ailments in the household.

I thought about completing your study online. However, I don’t have one of those ‘smart phones’, err, addictive tracking dumbing devices and there’s no desire for my opinion to remain in confidentiality. John

Hi John,

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.  I urge you to please share them within the exchange using the weblink: https://my.thoughtexchange.com/#102528419.  This way they can get direct feedback from other participants. 

This particular exchange is prototyping Thoughtexchange's new texting app, which is why I didn't send out the weblink earlier.  However, it's clear that was an oversight.  Thanks again for your interest.

Tracey

bump

I have been asked who the funders of this research project are. Current funders are:

The conversation is getting more interesting!  Participants are welcome to login and rate shared thoughts, even if they have nothing to add of their own.

Open now until July 6th, please see what concerns and excites citizens of rural B.C. when it comes to legalized recreational cannabis.

An update on this project:  We have extended the deadline until July 24th at the request of some groups. 

Over 175 people have participated, over 220 thoughts have been shared and nearly 3500 ratings made.

With an extended deadline, there's still time to contribute your opinions on legalization and the potential impacts to rural B.C. areas, or just rate other people's thoughts -- this is arguably just as significant as sharing thoughts as it gives us an understanding of what participants feel is most important.

There is no need to have experience within the cannabis industry nor with consuming cannabis to participate. We want to hear from all citizens (albeit from a rural perspective).

So, once again, if you are willing to share your thoughts about this topic within the exchange, please review the informed consent to get started. If you are ok with the informed consent and agree to participate, you can either:

1. Text "Hello" to 728-55 and enter the 9-digit participation code: 941-342-330 or

2. Use the weblink: https://my.thoughtexchange.com/#102528419

Thanks all you wonderful people!

Hello Rosslanders, I wanted to follow up the Thoughtexchange data gathering opportunity on cannabis legalization by sharing the themed results.

You can read a discussion of the results on the Rural BC Legalization study website and also view the actual thoughts and how they are themed.  If you're curious about the methodology I employed, I wrote about that too.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.  Regular project updates will be posted on the project website moving forward.  Tracey

Hey Rosslanders, for anyone interested and/or following this PhD project - I'll be sharing a little bit about the project and emerging themes tonight at 6:15 at the Rock Cut as requested by the Rossland Rotary. If you're available and interested, please join me! All questions welcome.