Trail Acid Spills April 10 and May 23 - Check Your Google Timeline

FYI...regarding the recent acid spills on April 10 and May 23rd in Trail (see article link below).  If you are unsure where you travelled those dates, and are concerned that you 'might' have travelled over the affected roadways during the danger periods, AND you have google location services activated on your mobile device, you can review your Google Timeline for the dates in question.  Better to know for sure, rather than not have brakes coming down the hill one day because your brake lines have dissolved.

https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/news/cars-being-junked-after-acid-spill-on-kootenay-highway/

What are the current facts on these acid spills? I was sure we did not drive those days and now realize we did. We just called ICBC, started the process and were told the back log is large. We will be called later to schedule an inspection.  We will have to do two as unsure which car we were driving.

Researching the subject today I heard anywhere from 100 to 2000 vehicles completely written off with many well under replacement cost. I have also heard drivers are having to pay the deductibles and that if you did not have comprehensive coverage that the claim goes against your safe driving record. My understanding is the hauler was suspended from Teck for 6 weeks but is active again and with no financial liability at the moment. Is that true? I also was led to believe the major concern is full brake failure on your vehicle with major corrosion reducing value as the secondary.

What I have found has so much variance and so little corroboration. What are your personal inspection and claim experiences? 

It's gonna be a huge can of worms. I have no idea if I drove through it or not, personal vehicle or work, but dealing with ICBC will be a total nightmare and I personally don't want any part of it. I'm just hoping for the best. 

I just finished having my car assessed today.  Typical wait is 2 weeks from first phone call to assessment at the claims centre.  They finished the assessment during my work day and I was able to drop it off... no towing necessary.  I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't drive through it (must have missed it my miliseconds!) So I don't have to do the whole claim process.  I can't comment on the whole reimbursement side of things but the assessment process was actually pretty smooth.