Mindfulness and parking downtown

This is not one of the 3 deadly sins of Rossland (ie. Bears, Dog Poo, and Snow removal).

This is just a plea from a downtown business owner.  I'm just asking that people be a little more mindful of where they park and for how long.  As you may have noticed, Columbia ave rarely has parking for much of the day, and this really impacts how easily customers can visit retail shops in that corridor.

I know that a lot of people park their cars:

• in front or near where they work, and they leave their cars in that space for the duration of their shifts
  • near coffee or the library and they leave the car ALL DAY

I'm not blaming anyone or any business.  All i am asking is that if people think - or know - that they will be more than 2 hrs, perhaps they could park in more long term parking:

• behind credit union
  • behind post office
  • near brewery
  • beside cold beer and wine

Town has become busier and, while we used to be able to park whereever, whenever, and for however long, we now have more limited options, and i for one would REALLY appreciate it if people would be mindful of how your car prevents business from thriving as well as it might.  Of course this is an un-intended consequence, and i'm just asking y'all to change some habits if you think you will be more than 2hrs. 

Thank you!

here here!  very well said.

I'm not sure how many people remember the days when we use to get parking tickets for being parking downtown longer than 2 hours, but it would be a shame for the city to implement that again because people can't get to businesses. 

When I worked in the Bank of Montreal in the 70's, management made it crystal clear that we were not to park on Columbia or Washington. The town was much less busy then and there were more parking spaces. If consideration trumped convenience, if more people gave a second thought to how their actions - or lack of - impacted others, Rossland would be an even greater place to call home. Bring back the tire marking if that helps, but the employees who drive to work should park off the beaten track - getting to their workplace wouldn't add that many more steps to their day.