What’s With All the Burning

Lots of people burning piles of yard waste around town. I thought there was a burn ban but when I looked at the internet, it was clear as mud. Anybody know what the actual rules are and where to find them? Or is it just a 'let's pretend these are campfires' day?

Cat 1 fires allowed. So small campfires are a ok from what I read

So, we're pretending that burning yard waste is a campfire then?

The rules are effective on April 16th. Only campfires as of then. 

I doubt that anyone is pretending anything. They are trying to get the job done.

Hopefully we dont move right from covid fire restrictions to our seasonal fire ban. 

So, provincially - no burning (since we are in a relevant zone).  Municipally, campfires only - no yard waste or construction material. And, of course, no enforcement....

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayBan.asp?ID=583#OpenFireBans

Click on the link that says "Definition of Open Fires". There is a good despription of the different types of open fires and the limitations such as material, size and quantity. 

I can't believe we allow burning in town still. It makes our renewable energy commitments laughable. My neighborhood regullarly smells of burning garbage and yard waste.

The City requires individuals to have burn permits and absolutely prohibits burning yard waste: https://rosslandtelegraph.com/news/city-issues-reminder-about-burning-bylaw-41567#.XpOoDS8TGf0

But, of course, it doesn't enforce anything so it's all on the honour system - and we all know how that's working out!

Its debateble, but I'd rather smell smoke from spring burning than spring dog sh*t. That said, please use your judgement on what & when & where to burn anything. Beaver creek below Montrose as of 5:30pm had a raging out of control wildfire blazing on the steep south facing slope directly below the village, fuelled by dry brush & high wind gusts. Hope they get it out easily & quickly. 

Hmm.. I thought we could burn until April 16-- I will call City Hall today to double check. Definitely don't want to be non compliant with everything else going on. Thanks for the heads up !

Something firewise is going on around town. Lots of trucks pelting by.

I get that backyard campfires (the legal thing currently in in some towns, banned in others) are a fun Canadian pastime for many.  But if you are smoke sensitive, asthmatic or have other lung conditions it means that you are forced to stay indoors with your windows closed when anyone within wind distance burns, including even clean wood.  I know of people who deal with this daily because their neighbour has a daily fire.  Then when the total annual burn ban happens they are stuck indoors again due to forest fire smoke, and once that stops, the slash burning begins.  

I don’t know the answer to find the right balance of fun privilege of a campfire vs the right to breathe clean air.  But I just ask that every person who opts for a backyard marshmallow roast to please be considerate and mindful of how long and how often you do so, and think of those for whom breathing is made more difficult because of smoke.