Caldera Ponds - Please tread lightly!

Lots of people, young and old, are enjoying the frog pond at Caldera this spring/summer. Aren’t we lucky to have such a great nature experience so close to home?

The Rossland Society for Environmental Action (RSEA) is asking everyone to enjoy the pond and observe the life cycles, but please do not disturb the natural balance. Leave your nets at home, keep your pets on leash and teach your children to look but don’t touch! The frogs, dragonflies, beetles, snakes, plants, algae and all things that live there thank you for being great nature stewards!

Did you know that the Caldera Pond is home to not only the Columbia Spotted Frog, but also the Western Toad, a species of "Special Concern under the federal Species At Risk Act (SARA)"? The Western Toad travels between the pond and upland forested areas multiple times throughout the year, so if you see a toad out and away from the pond, please leave it be, thanks again!

Photos: 

Thank you for this reminder Alynn.

I was just walking this morning by the north end of the reservoir wondering about the duck family (about 6-8 ducklings!) that has made it home there for the last few weeks.

I have not seem them for a few days now, and worry that they may have fallen prey to dogs - natural predators would be a different story. I know my dog would go after them if I didn't keep a close eye on her...

Well said, Alynn - thanks for this. Again in 2021, I have seen many folks at this pond with nets, buckets and off-leash pets. In addition to all of the cautions you mentioned, all native frog species in BC are protected. It is illegal to kill, harass or capture them. I'm not sure that people are aware of this.

Thanks, Alynn.  Maybe a sign needs to be posted?  We stopped in today to check out the tadpoles, and noticed a fish...I don't recall seeing any fish in there before.