Is red opening this winter

There are rumours flying about the ski hill not opening this winter.  Does anybody have any truthful information if red is opening or not for ski season? 

I'd think it's safe to say at this point that nobody knows and there's no definitive answer.

I did hear somewhere that it was going to open but unfortunately I can't recall where I read this so it is just hearsay.  from what I have heard, visas are practically impossible to get right now and borders are still closed....so if the ski hill is relying on workers from overseas....they may have to look more locally.  Fortunately there are loads of people in and around town that could use employment.  It might mean that they stay on as a unionized employee for more than one season tho.  

Something to be prepapred for as well would be limited operating days, like a Thur-Sunday kinda thing, and limited use of lodges etc.

One rider per triple chair...big lineups spread 6' apart...

Good chance US border will stay closed.  But Sunwing has canceled all flights this year to sun destinations down south so I think skiing will be hot with the Canadian markets. Small resorts are sure to be more attractive than large resorts. Could be a busy year if summer road traffic is any gauge. 

Another thing to consider is other reosorts that are reliant on gondolas such as Whistler, Lake Lousie and Kicking Horse.  How are they going to mitigate personal distancing and cleaning and how that will affect lineups and attendance of resorts.  They could see a drop in domestic skier visits as people may try to avoid the bigger and busier ski reosrts and seek out the smaller out of the way hills, such as our own.  The safest lifts will most likely be t-bars.  Small hills like Phoneix, Salmo etc. may see a large upatke in attendance.  We could see an intersting surge and rebalance in the ski industry this year.

I've worked at Whistler and a number of other resorts in the Province. Whistler is by far the best at managing crowds. The bike park is open, their managing line ups and gondola use now. If I was intending a ski holiday and worried about the safety of my family re exposure to Covid 19 I'd be heading to Whistler or any of the Okanagan areas long before I'd head to Red.

Roamryder....from what I remember be at Whistler, big white(out), Cypres, Grouse, SunPeaks and Apex (working, playing and racing) were lines upon lines upon lines.....meaning copious amounts of people, Everywhere!!!  But hey, if you want to send people into a Covid infested nest...be my guest.  I'll stick with Red Mountain and our one line up on a powder day in the morning ;)

The reason Whistler and the Okanagan resorts are good at managing crowds is because they HAVE crowds.  There's no need to be good at something you rarely have to deal with.  It's like saying Mexico isn't very good at snow removal.  Of course they're not, they don't need to be.

Ha Charity, Bhubble to you too. JNR your absolutley correct. So since it only takes one person to start an outbreak do you go to an operation that has been operating throughout the pandemic with (at least so far) no outbreaks and a reputation for professional managment of crowds or head to one that has arguably the worst. Your call.

RED is planning to open this winter. Just the rumour mill :)