Fletcher Quince for Council Nov. 28

In two weeks Rosslanders will have decided who will fill a vacant seat on council in the Nov. 28 By-election. As one of the two candidates I offer voters an opportunity to bring a global perspective, genuine academic background, and love of arts and culture to the Council table. Alongside increased transparency, accountability and better regional integration this is also an opportunity to elect a representative sensitive to the challanges of maintaining a genuine identity in a community exploding with amenity migrants. Below is a brief Bio:

Having moved to Rossland in 2009 in order to reintegrate Francis Rattenbury’s Historic Bank of Montreal Building into the communities cultural and economic landscape I am pleased to reflect on the successful accomplishment of that objective. In addition to rejuvenating the building, which now houses 15 local businesses, I curate a marketplace for Kootenay Creative Products, known as the Quoynary Canada (quoynary.ca) out of the main bank hall. 

Throughout my decade living in Rossland I have served regional residents in a variety of roles, including as the Vice President of the Greater Trail Community Skills Centre, as a member of the Columbia Basin Trust’s Our Trust, Our Future Residents Working Group in 2015, as Chair of the City of Rossland’s Fire and Emergency Services Review Task Force in 2016, and as an Executive member of the Lower Columbia Community Development Team Society until 2017. 

Alongside those official roles, I also played a major role in hosting the Heritage BC 2015 annual conference in Rossland. A conference I was honoured to be asked to present my work on community development and heritage restoration at. I remain one of the primary advocates for the support of Arts, Culture and Heritage Conservation in Rossland.

A published academic in the journal of Behavioural Processes and the University of Toronto Press, prior to moving to Rossland I completed an undergraduate in Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Alberta in 2005, and a Masters Degree in Forest Fire Management Systems from the University of Toronto in 2009. During this time I worked as a Bungee Master, Wildland Firefighter, Incident Commander and ultimately Research Scientist with Alberta’s Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Research that examined the development and performance of the complex management systems utilized in Fire Management Organizations.

An active part of the Rossland’s political and economic landscape over the preceding decade I actively contribute to initiatives that contribute to the social and economic sustainability of our community. If would like to know more about me or the initiative I am currently engaged in please visit: quoynary.ca/about-the-curator

Photos: