Bears are out - let's have a kill-free summer!

Most of us saw that story in Ft Saint John earlier this month about the CO shooting a cub at someone's home, despite having a rehab center ready to take it on. COs are trained to believe that orphaned cubs are doomed to die, that habituated bears cannot be relocated and bears in general cannot be rehabilitated. If you call a CO and they make the drive up, they will likely shoot the bear.

No matter how diligent we are about garbage, compost, fruit trees... bears will wander into town. And then they'll wander back out. I had a week last summer where a big old black bear with a limp would take an afternoon nap under my giant cedar. They may knock your garbage can over, sit on your composter, maybe even break a branch or two in a cherry tree... it's not a reason for them to die. If you call "conservation" you are essentially giving them a death sentence.

If you have out of town neighbours or renters, please let them know that there will be bears and it's not a big deal. I would love for Rossland to have 0 murders this summer. I think we can do it!

YES!!! We totally agree - it is possible for us to have a kill free season in regards to bears. Last year was devastating - and if we're all going to be honest, the responsibility lies with us.

Please, lets all respect the bears - they will be here and around - and lets all be responsible with our garbages, composts, fruit trees, etc. And please don't call the conservation officers - they WILL kill the bears if you call them.