Come on people, secure your garbage. Bears are back in town.

Bears are now around town. Please secure your garbage, pet food, pets and anything you don't want trashed by hungry bears. I just got home to find a big bag of garbage shredded along my neighbour's fence. Chances are, it did not belong to any of my immediate neighbour's, and was dragged there. Come on people, get it together, and don't cry when overwhelmed and understaffed C.O. shows up to shoot it. It's your own fault. 

I just cleaned up that mess. Meat wrappings and dirty princess diapers. Congratulations new parents, your house is now a food source. That bear will come back to your house for sure. It just woke up, and soon will get shot. 

Total b.s that bears get shot, or will be shot, because of peoples ignorance and laziness. We don't live in the city, we're in the mountains, have some respect and knowledge for where you live.

Note:

I just saw this on the Rossland Talks Facebook Page:

Dear City of Rossland Residents:
I have received recent reports of a young mother grizzly and her two yearling cubs in lower Rossland, near Redstone Resort and on the Wagon Road. I have personally seen this bear and have sent pictures to the Conservation Officer, as well as to a local grizzly bear expert, and the consensus is that she is a light brown coloured black bear with two yearling cubs. Short of examining her c...laws, there is no comprehensive way to identify her. However – what type of bear she is, is less concerning than the fact that she is VERY PROTECTIVE of her cubs! She has already bluffed and huffed at a few bikers on the Wagon Road and she is NOT afraid of humans. All three of these bears are habituated to human food sources and spent most of last fall in fruit trees and wandering throughout lower Rossland and Pinewood getting into whatever they could find to eat. Her maternal loop includes a path that runs along the Wagon Road, up past Redstone into lower Rossland, and across the highway and back down through Pinewood and the Cemetery. As such, please take the following measures:
• Control your attractants;
• Remove bird feeders;
• Store garbage inside;
• Keep your pets on a leash;
• If you are hiking or biking in and around Redstone, PLEASE make noise and do not ride with headphones on; and,
• Most importantly do not approach her or get between her and her cubs.
If she becomes aggressive or damages property or pets please call the conservation office at 1-877-952-7277.
On another note – Please keep your pets on a leash – I have had reports of two dogs chasing a young cow moose down mainstreet a few days ago and it is illegal for pets to harass wildlife. So let’s all do our part to keep wildlife wild and our communities safe.
Here’s hoping for another great summer like last year!
Desiree Profili, BSC, Rossland/Trail WildSafeBC coordinator
250-231-7996
rossland@wildsafebc.com

And please take note of the "keep your pets on a leash" part. Last year near Fall up here at Centennial I saw 3 separate dogs with 3 separate owners, all unleashed, chase and torment momma and her 3 cubs. Of course momma was getting mad, the whole situation went from bad to worse quickly, just because of ignorance. If we can't co-exist properly whats the point...

I would think that dogs chasing bears away would be a good thing. I own 2 dogs for keeping me and my family safe in the bush. 

This wasn't in the bush, it was on Kirkup. Momma and her 3 cubs were casually eating apples in a tree (The owners not picking the fruit is a whole other story) Quiet as can be, no one even knew they were there, the dogs picked up the scent and all 3 surrounded the tree barking and going crazy. Momma finally had enough and bolted down obviously trying to distract them so the cubs would be safe, shit hit the fan, and the next day I had heard more bears got destroyed the day prior. A simple leash would've prevented it all. I love all wildlife, especially bears, so I got a birds eye view of everything. It was sad to see. 

As of 8:10 am they are between Victoria Ave/Treadwell and the lower Drakes trail.  There is a pile of garbage on the road as Victoria turns into Treadwell and they are not far from it.  She saw me walking the trail probably long before I saw her.  Gill

Having dogs in the bush with you with an idea of them chasing away bears isn't always effective. When I was out with my dog, I found lots of time I saw the bear before he caught wind of it (obviously this depends on the way the wind is blowing) and another time, he chased a bear back toward me. It SEEMS like a good idea on paper but doesn't necessarily work out that way.

The other opinion in the bush is to carry a rifle.