Save the bears.

Cheers to that! It's not that hard either. Don't make your yard a bear buffet; if they do come by give them some space, they always move on. More importantly...don't call the guys with the guns!

Unless of course, they've broken into your house and/or are threatening your safety. There are legit reasons to call the CO.

Thanks, DW!  Bears are a part of life in a mountain community. Strict management of attractants Is critical.

Personally, I could never live with myself if my actions, or lack there of, led to an innocent animal being shot. I accept that bears are part of living in a mountain community and that it was my choice to make this my home. In the 50+ years I've lived here, I have learned that bears are peaceful creatures, despite the fear and drama that follows them.

Just spent the last 10 minutes watching a beautiful young, probably 2 years old, cinnamon color black bear casually being a bear in the woods by Centennial. Beautiful and yet sad. Sad because he's just trying to survive, while humans just continue to overload the bears land. 

I really hope you survive Mr., or Mrs. Bear. I really hope so. 

119 bears killed in BC in May 2017, compared to 52 in May 2016.  D.W. - I hope he (she) survives too. If only more people would care enough to put in the effort.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3532484/steele-drex-may-was-the-deadliest-mont...

Image result for complaining on the internet memes

119 bears killed in May 2017, compared to 52 in May 2016. Not a complaint, a fact.

Seriously ApB23? Making a joke about 119 bears being killed....wow.

No making a joke about the people that think sitting on the internet is going to solve a community issue. :) 

Presenting facts/information on a community forum is completely valid. Many school districts, universities, and private educational institutions are turning to the internet to educate and inform. Information may incite people to take action. Unfortunately, if you read the article posted and listen to the conservation officer interviewed on the radio link provided, action will not likely happen unless municipal bylaws are beefed up and strictly enforced .... but posting facts is worth a shot. If you have other ideas ApB23 ...

The fact is that 119 bears were killed in BC in May 2017, compared to 52 bears killed in BC in May 2016. 

I agree with ApB23.....

Most of these threads since the sad incident at Miche and Dan's home have been mean spirited or passive aggressive attacks. Kudos to people with actual ideas.

If you want to make a difference get to some council meetings and be productive. You are not part of any meaningful change on this thread.

I believe that Tenille will be hosting a community forum-now that is helpful! It will be interesting to see how many people will show up (and perhaps wear their bhubble user name on a nametag). I think that the belittling cowards should have to sit in a dunk tank fund raiser type of booth....but I'm going to guess that they won't have time to attend...

Gwen

No intention to offend or anger anyone. What happened in lower Rossland was scary and tragic - for all involved. It was Miche herself who expressed anger and frustration with the current state of garbage collection/bylaw enforcement. Presenting the facts just backs up her statements and points out serious problems - province wide, not just in Rossland. Pretending all is well is not going to help. The more information the better.

Gwen, I am not sure name calling is much better than the accusations you make. Though it is nice to see friends defend each other, it comes across as an attempt to bully or minimize people with whom you don't agree or understand. People of all opinions should be permitted to express themselves. 

Have you listened to the link of the radio interview with the conservation officer? There is some valuable information there. 

I don't recall saying anything about bylaw enforcement, but yes I do believe we as a community could stand to benefit from an improved garbage collection system.

In regards to Gwen using the term 'belittling cowards' - that is exactly what people who come on here, hide behind an alias and trash talk people are. Belittling cowards. That is nearly as much a fact as your stat of 119 bear deaths.

It is hilarious to me how many new bhubble users with aliases have been created just since the incidence at my house. This bear bhubble conversation has been going on for years, and what exactly is it accomplishing? Not a heck of a lot.

The point is, bears won't be saved because of any bhubble conversation. Bears will be saved through a proactive community working together to initiate innovative ideas to tackle this problem. I can't wait for Tennille to host a bear communion ty conversation. THAT is the kind of first steps that will make change. 

Unfortunately, most bhubble users in this conversation and past conversations probably won't come.

So MC86, you are incredibly invested in this conversation and thus issue, and you don't even live here. Why? You said you wanted to talk about bylaws and enforcement etc and I emailed you twice about it but you didn't respond?

Sure hope you plan to bring your facts and good ideas to the community conversation....in person.

Gwen, I love you...let's do Caesars and talk innovative ideas to save the bears!

Miche

I've lived here a long time, the main reason for moving here was friendly place, safe, fresh air, and the wildlife. I love seeing coyotes walk down Kirkup late at night howling outside the window, the odd moose, raccoons and especially the bears. No problems ever with bears. It's easy to co-exist, and phoning the C.O should be the last thing we do. The C.O's don't want to kill the bears, it's just a money thing, they have no finances to re-locate, therefore its up to us to make it work. 

Oh ya, save the bears.

That is all. 

Have a great night and an awesome Friday. :)

Phoning the conservation officer IS the last thing we do.

Happy Friday to you as well!

The bears are just one symptom of a much larger problem. A part of the stuff we regularly create, some call it garbage, could very easily and quickly be reduced, starting with food scraps and food packaging. Reduce – Reuse – Recycle.

Just imagine the bears grunting a tune as they wander through the streets in town...

Ooooh that smell

Can't you smell that smell

Ooooh that smell

The bears just don’t realize ‘The smell of death surrounds you’

Whether the attractant is garbage, a bbq, lip balm, chicken coups or fried chicken, the bears will regularly drop by for a visit.

In a broader context, our Pavlovian conditioned society is where more people are living life hurriedly, wastefully, selfishly and with a spontaneous convenience rationale. The bears are in town to stay so long as we are not held accountable for the consequences of our own decision making today. Both collective and personal decisions. The choices that we make today will always bear witness to our weaknesses tomorrow. Maybe for some, understanding the message requires more home intrusions by bears. Or maybe all that is needed are changes to the scheduled waste pickup.

"One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them." - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

According to the bylaw officer interviewed, people often don't change unless they are required to. Improvements to bylaws and enforcement is part and parcel of coexisting with bears, it's in all the literature. I don't speak on an issue unless I educate myself first. As far as the numbers go ... that's just a sad realty - not a personal attack.

Miche, I did get your email regarding the information requested (not going to mention the specifics, as it seems to upset people)). Someone had very kindly answered my question right on the thread, so I didn't need to bother you. The subject was dropped after that. I didn't even realize that you had sent an email, until several days after - email is not my communication means of choice, especially with people I don't know. I didn't realize I could switch it off on Bhubble and I have since done so. 

You're absolutely right, I don't live there. I am in the process of looking for a home. I am also looking in other communities in the Kootenays. It was suggested I check out Bhubble as a way to get a feel for Rossland, as it is a very active Bhubble user. Wow, were they right. I expressed my questions/opinions on the bear issue as It is an issue close to my heart. Most animal advocacy groups act beyond individual communities, like the Valhalla Wilderness Society.

There is no conspiracy. I'm not out to get anyone. I just love bears.

PS - Is Nelson friendly?

Rossland is friendly, Nelson is friendly...I was being friendly, that was why I emailed you :). You were being friendly.

Rossland will welcome you warmly if this is your choice of new home.

Just moved here and would like to know more about the Tenille Community Forum if anyone can enlighten? 

Just moved here and would like to know more about the Tenille Community Forum if anyone can enlighten? 

Rossland is a relatively lawless place, and as with many in this community, I like it that way. We don't have any significant police presence or bylaw enforcement, and an ethos of tolerance prevails. Sure there are all sorts of petty infractions (my list is likley different to yours) that annoy, but I'm happy to accept these as the price of freedom from heavy handed authority. Recreating Rossland as an effective “Bear Smart” community would require major changes to the way we all garden, barbecue, compost, collect garbage, and respond to bears within neighbourhoods. Some might welcome this as the price we must pay "to do the right thing", but I suspect there is little chance that a majority of Rossland residents would support the lifestyle changes, investments, regulations and enforcement that would be required to effectively keep bears out of town. So, as in so many other aspects of life, the best strategy seems to be tolerance, to accept bears wandering and foraging through our neighbourhoods, and to put effort into sharing strategies for living with bears, rather than condemning those that don't live up to an unrealistic standard of perfection.

OKAY, I'M ON IT..!! very happy to get the ball rolling.

Yeah, thx Tennille! @Harmony, Tennille is an awesome local business owner and an environmental stewardess

Yeah, thx Tennille! @Harmony, Tennille is an awesome local business owner and an environmental stewardess

Silly computer didn't send my whole message.....

And Tennille is planning to host a community gathering to discuss proactive options for becoming a more bear smart/safe community.

I've just received the agenda for the Rossland Bear Smart meeting:

1. Opening remarks
  2. Remember to close / lock your door
  3. Any other business

Should be a short gathering, see you there.

Dear Mossy: Please see 15 comments above. :)

A glimmer of hope...thanks Mossy!

Just had a bear stroll through my yard, no biggie. Hope no one harms it.:)

A very large one tried to get in our front door yesterday afternoon. 

Alpine Edibles ( I assume that's your real name), I received your email. In case you've forgotten, it went like this:

"Message:
Really?
Why do you condone people using aliases on bhubble to attack people? Do you really believe that sarcastic asshole-type comments directed at people is a productive way to tackle a problem as a community?That makes you no better than the belittling cowards who actually type the comment.
WTF?"

My comment in regards to Mossy's was to express my shared opinion that living with bears is not a big deal, just part of life here. I would guess you are carrying a fair amount of guilt, as it appears you think everyone's comments are about you. Well, they are not. Do you think bullying people with nasty private emails makes you better than those 'cowards' you speak of.  I really hope you can forgive yourself one day. We are all human and make mistakes. Just learn from them and move on. Namaste :)

P.S. I'm sure you genuinely care about bears, please read this and share with your friends , thx.

@lshank:

1) nope, not my real name. My name is Miche, which I've signed on dozens of my posts. Nothing to hide here.

2) Nope haven't forgotten the email, thanks for sharing it!

3) Re: your shared opinion with Mossy - Mossy didn't say that living with bears is not a big deal. Mossy posted a sarcastic comment about shutting and locking doors. Mossy's previously posted comment, on the other bear thread, was directed solely at me and referred to the same thing. Logic indicates the same for this comment. You offered support of this sarcastic contribution to this conversation, so yep, I called you on it. I'm tired of people attacking my family.

4) I don't feel guilt. I feel remorse that our community has a significant enough of a garbage problem that bears are ending up dead because of it.

5)I wasn't bullying you with a private email. I was asking you why you condone asshole-type comments people make on here as they hide their face behind an alias. I said, WTF (what the fuck) because man, that shit isn't cool.

Yes I care about bears, duh. But your article that you think is the end all be all, well, isn't.

Have a great day.

Hey Miche, this is the only bear thread I've read, so I'm not familiar with those comments you speak of. I was trying to be kind, but sadly you are the most defensive, unreasonable  person I have ever witnessed. My perception of Mossy's comment was obviously different than yours.  Those bear cubs that you felt were so threatening, died for being curious and hungry and I'll admit, that didn't thrill me. ( Sorry to see you were so distraught you had time for a photo shoot to share with the news paper.)  Garbage is not the only problem, Rossland has always had garbage.  The article I posted ....it's a great start to learning how to make a  positive change, for those of us who really want to.

Living with bears is a privledge, not an inconvenience.

You have a great day too.

Hey Miche, this is the only bear thread I've read, so I'm not familiar with those comments you speak of. I was trying to be kind, but sadly you are the most defensive, unreasonable  person I have ever witnessed. My perception of Mossy's comment was obviously different than yours.  Those bear cubs that you felt were so threatening, died for being curious and hungry and I'll admit, that didn't thrill me. ( Sorry to see you were so distraught you had time for a photo shoot to share with the news paper.)  Garbage is not the only problem, Rossland has always had garbage.  The article I posted ....it's a great start to learning how to make a  positive change, for those of us who really want to.

Living with bears is a privledge, not an inconvenience.

You have a great day too.

LShank - As you've only been a Bhubble user for a week, i'm going to try and save you some humiliation. While I can appreciate that your heart is in the right place in regards to the bear situation, the fact that you are continually trying to drum up drama has not gone unnoticed. These bear posts, similar to the dog posts, are talked about frequentally. Just a suggestion - scroll through other ones and educate yourself on the bullying comments people make towards Miche, maybe then you can understand why you're viewing her as being defensive. The people in Rossland that actually care about bears, and are trying to make a difference aren't on Bhubble broadcasting ideas, because they've been users for longer than a week and understand it isn't productive. If you seriously care and want to make a difference, stop while you're ahead. 

Well said ApB23. Seconding that, @Lshank... Miche has every right to be defensive. As ApB just mentioned, have you seen the horrible comments that have been made to that family? That family that has a reputable name in this community?

You should be ashamed of yourself. Miche has owned up to every one of her comments, including that appropriate email she sent to you. Who the hell are you? What makes you so qualified to advise this community on bears?

Quit while you're ahead. Good advice.

Not totally true ApB23, I've been on bhubble for a few years and totally care about the bears, I started this thread. And I believe any form of communication is beneficial. I almost puke when I hear of bears getting killed. Its so unnecessary.

A few thoughts on all the bears killed in May 2017 vs 2016.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who notices this trend.  It seems that there are several years of lower numbers of bears killed followed by a spike.  This makes total sense if you think about it.  In my neighbor hood this spring i counted 5 different bears, likely all related to the original mother that has been bringing cubs through the neighborhood for the past number of years.  

So over a bunch of years multiple generations of bears learn that there is food in our neighboorhood.  This has a multiplying affect.  Now I have always kept my garbage inside, dont compost or have chickens, and I always pick my fruit before the bears get to it.  There are no attractants in my yard.  But just because I manage my attractants doesn't mean my neighbors all do.  

So we have this multiplyer affect where a mother has a couple of cubs and those cubs have cubs and so on.  All of them coming back to previous sources of food in growing numbers.  Every few years their numbers get higher than available food sources and they start getting bolder in their hunt for food, even attempting to get into peoples houses.  This is when good natured people decide that their children and community safety is more important than the bears lives and start calling the CO.  

The bears in my neighborhood have been more agressive this year than i have ever seen in my life.  There were challenging my dog (bears have always shied away from him) and have tried to get into my house on more than one occasion, and again I am very careful to manage my atttractants.  

So every few years the numbers spike and then the shootings do too.

A few thoughts on all the bears killed in May 2017 vs 2016.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who notices this trend.  It seems that there are several years of lower numbers of bears killed followed by a spike.  This makes total sense if you think about it.  In my neighbor hood this spring i counted 5 different bears, likely all related to the original mother that has been bringing cubs through the neighborhood for the past number of years.  

So over a bunch of years multiple generations of bears learn that there is food in our neighboorhood.  This has a multiplying affect.  Now I have always kept my garbage inside, dont compost or have chickens, and I always pick my fruit before the bears get to it.  There are no attractants in my yard.  But just because I manage my attractants doesn't mean my neighbors all do.  

So we have this multiplyer affect where a mother has a couple of cubs and those cubs have cubs and so on.  All of them coming back to previous sources of food in growing numbers.  Every few years their numbers get higher than available food sources and they start getting bolder in their hunt for food, even attempting to get into peoples houses.  This is when good natured people decide that their children and community safety is more important than the bears lives and start calling the CO.  

The bears in my neighborhood have been more agressive this year than i have ever seen in my life.  There were challenging my dog (bears have always shied away from him) and have tried to get into my house on more than one occasion, and again I am very careful to manage my atttractants.  

So every few years the numbers spike and then the shootings do too.

Shall we stop???!!! Have we not had enough nonprodcutive communication yet? Alpine.edibles that is good now. Enough circuitous jabbering...you are digging a deeper hole for yourself. If everyone would put their energy into making positive change by attending upcoming gatherings, showing up for city hall meetings etc, this would have a much more positive impact in our community. A first step has been made to move forward on this issue. Lets attend the community forum instead of being part of a festering negative feedback loop between members of our community who all have the same end goal in mind. Actions speak louder than words.

Cheers

A community forum is in the works. No bullying, naming or shaming just brainstorming, solutions and bear awareness to help us learn to live with these beautiful animals in safety and harmony. Please stop bickering people. 

Tennille

It's Sunday, nearly 11.30 a.m. and I just heard what sounded like a gunshot. I am hoping it was just a firework left over from yesterday and not another bear being shot.

I'm concerned about the little brown guy (girl) you see cruising around alot, even during the hot daytime. Hope he, (she) makes it and has a long decent life. 

It was the little brown bear And it wasn't a gun shot.  some loser firing off bear bangers.  

We saw a young-looking smallish brown bear walking through along the edge of someone's garden last week – he was just a few feet away from us and looked slightly wary of us but not scared, though he moved away at a trot and crossed the road. (Sorry, it's still exciting to us to see bears like this!) 

I am glad to hear it was just a banger.

We saw a young-looking smallish brown bear walking through along the edge of someone's garden last week – he was just a few feet away from us and looked slightly wary of us but not scared, though he moved away at a trot and crossed the road. (Sorry, it's still exciting to us to see bears like this!) 

I am glad to hear it was just a banger.

Even Trail has a bear proof communal garbage centre! 

Rossland is falling behind Castlegar, Nelson, and now even Trail in dealing with the issue.

http://bctvkootenays.com/2017/06/27/city-of-nelson-and-wildsafebc-to-col...

Saturday evening, 9.50pm, four RCMP speeding down Columbia and stopped in Georgia. Heard them say something about blocking him off, so presumably they were after a bear. So sad. Ruined my evening.

Saturday evening, 9.50pm, four RCMP speeding down Columbia and stopped in Georgia. Heard them say something about blocking him off, so presumably they were after a bear. So sad. Ruined my evening.

I can assure you it had nothing to do with Bears or any other animals! But nice stretch!!