Spunky Bear on the BS Trail out by Monticola / Larch Ridge

Was riding Larch Ridge/Monticola yesterday and also did a loop on BS. About two thirds of the way down BS I was chased by a bear. I was the last rider in a group of 5 and I heard something crashing in the bushes on the lower side of the trail. I looked over my shoulder to see a large bear running up the hill toward me. It followed me for a little while - obviously just wanting to chase me off as it most certainly could have caught me had it really wanted to.  I was speaking with someone this morning who also rode the trail about an hour after our group and he was also chased by this same bear.  The bear is quite light in colour and in my panic I can't say what kind of bear it was.  Just large and teritorial. BS might be a trail to avoid for a little while.  

Oh well, they're just defending THEIR land like humans do with their own backyards, but I think too often we forget that. 

Please stop the PC BS. Jane is just giving a legitimate heads up to riders.

Thanks Jane!

I know it was a good point Jane had and I apologize for writing it like that. Just don't want too many people to panic and phone the C.O. With reward comes risk. Bears are out there.

But thanks Jane for the heads up. :)

Maybe let KCTS know? Might be wise to close the trail for a few days

Best strava time of the year.

Best strava time of the year.

Thanks Jane for the heads up! Sounds like a good idea to avoid the trail for a while for both human and bear safety. And thanks to mountain mitch for your post.  

Some peeps gotta chill on the aggressive nature of their posts.

Hi. Can you tell me where these 2 trails are. Sorry, but I don't know them by name.

I rode Larch Ridge on Tuesday early morning without incident - just gave a couple woots so we wouldn't startle any wildlife.  

R.Saundry.........These trails are up at the Blackjack Biathalon range area.

Thank you for the heads up Jane.