View or search for all towns »

The new seniors centre building

I drove past the old/new (or whatever one wants to call it) Seniors Center and got the shock of my life.  I have to ask, how long and why has that beautiful brick work been covered up?  What a beautiful classic front for a building and what a shame that it was covered over with that ugly stucco covering.  

I have known Les Anderson for many years through my mother and was aware of his dedication to bringing that old building back to life but wow, was he part of that uncovering as well?   I am also aware that someone, (the city?)  got a bunch of money to fix up the seniors centre; is some of that money going to fixing up the damaged bricks at the front of the building?

Tanier 

Yes, Tanier- Les was a key player in getting the project underway. He is passionate about that building and has worked closely with the city. The money came from the Columbia Basin Trust's new built heritage fund that is intended to restore fabulous buildings in the region.  It will be used to repair the front. My understanding is that the bricks were decaying and it was easier and less expensive to just stucco it over rather than repair it. I don't know what year that happened or who was the owner at the time. Isn't it just a wonderful building? I am so glad we are all able to enjoy it once again. Makes you wonder what lies beneath other buildings around town!!

Thank you Kathy for answering Tanier's question.  I don't frequent Bhubble very much so was not aware of the question.  In truth, I am not sure I know who Tanier actually is.  If she could E-mail me  so I could respond to her personally it would help me with whom I am responding to. 

Tanier, I am one member of the senior's 5 member Renovation Committee that was struck by the Rossland Seniors Assoc. 1 1/2 yr ago.  The renovations on the hall actually started in 2004 when the senior's BOD met with city officials after we were made aware that the building was on the slate to be demolished. The entire building was in terrible disrepair through the lack of general maintanence.  The back room (now the lounge room) had been sealed off because of a foundation and flooring collapse.  We struck a verble and hand shake agreement with the city officials that if the seniors took it upon themselves to raise funds to restore the building and not burdon the city's tax payers, the wrecking ball would be put off.  Since that date & meeting the seniors have raised more than $130,000.00, - + a few dollars, as part of an agreed 10 year restoration plan to restore the building to modern bylaw standards: this sum can now add an additional $85,000 raised by the city.. We are a couple of years behind schedule; however, with renewed cooperation from the city along with numerous grants, donations and being mentioned in wills, that classic old building is once again becoming part of Rossland's living history.  

That beautiful ornate facade on the front of the building was stuccoed over (according to our written records) in the spring of 1972.  The facade restoration, along with the basement water problem, are the the last items on the original ten year project. This long and drawn out project has most most certainly not been a "one man" accomplishment.  We owe a debt of gratitude to Darin Albo (Rossland's city works manager), the five senior ladies (all in their 70s & 80s) who carried ice cream pails of mud out of the building when the back room foundation & flooring was being restored and the various foundations, along with the Rossland Quilters, the Rossland Credit Union the Rossland Legion, the Lions and those who bequeathed funds to our building restoration funds.

The Rossand Seniors Association owe a lot to a lot of people, but we proved that faith in each other and a bit of hands on labour (age is only an excuse) can accomplish seemingly impossible goals.

Makes you wonder if what other beautiful buildings in Rossland are hidden under stucco!

Makes you wonder if what other beautiful buildings in Rossland are hidden under stucco!

My goodness Les Anderson, you are so humble and all to ready to give all the credit to others.  My mother has told our family many times of your and your wife’s endless dedication to that old building, its upkeep and you being the reason that the Rossland seniors assoc. is still in existence.

I have three questions:  Once that building has been restored to its former glory what will that structure be worth in monitory value to the city?   I would like to know what its value was 14 years ago and what it will be worth when it has been fully restored.   Also, will you be given any historical credit for saving that  building from demolition?

By the way, my mother was one of those who carried pails of mud out of that backroom.  She is so very proud of that.

Tanier

very_Rachel……….  We are looking into many of the older buildings in Rultand and have discovered three old treasures that are going to be knocked down.  The city has no interest in restoring the buildings.  It seems the younger generation has no appreciation of their history and our city officials are pushed to keep our towns and cities modern.   That’s why we need more people like Les Anderson who can see the value of the past.  It is a shame that our younger society has come to this.

Tanier

very_Rachel……….  We are looking into many of the older buildings in Rultand and have discovered three old treasures that are going to be knocked down.  The city has no interest in restoring the buildings.  It seems the younger generation has no appreciation of their history and our city officials are pushed to keep our towns and cities modern.   That’s why we need more people like Les Anderson who can see the value of the past.  It is a shame that our younger society has come to this.

Tanier

Tanier, I am by know means a glory seeker.  I will leave that realm to others.  My personal satisfaction will be to see the old building being saved from demolition and brought back to its former glory.  As I mentioned previously, many people worked over many years to restore the building or worked hard just to keep it functional.  Now that we have the city behind us, we no longer have to fear the dreaded wrecking ball.  

After all of the restorationn is completed, the seniors group will be organizing a membership drive.  I know your mlm will be more than happy to serve on that committee.

As for what the building was worth pre- restoration and what its value will be post restoration is beyond me.  I suppose that information can be found on the Internet.

We have a lady in Rossland by the name of Jackie Drysdale who leads the Rossland arm of the BC Haritage Commission.  She would be the one to contact about other hidden haritage buildings and sites in this area.

The building looks incredible!  I had no idea what was hiding under there!