View or search for all towns »

Tunnel party

Kudos to the senior ladies spotted cleaning up the mess after last night's tunnel party on the Centennial Trail. There must have been well over 100 empty cans of beer strewn about in the snow, in and on either side of the tunnel, along with broken bottles in the tunnel, and the remains of the burnt wood used for the fire. They shouldn't have had to be doing this, but they were, and with good cheer as well. Thank you ladies, your efforts are much appreciated by those of us that use the trail.

Why aren't they respecting their town and creating a mess and leaving it for others to clean up?? NOT COOL!! If you know your kid is there talk to them! Or if you're one of those kids then smarten up!!

I'd get a swift kick in the ass if I did that when I was young... 

Yeah I said it!! 

Tennille

Dear "Teenie",

Obviously you've never gone to a party before because if you had, you would know that most people aren't very keen to wake up as early as our "senior ladies" do to clean up after they've had some fun the night before. We do clean up after our parties. Sorry we didn't as early as you would have liked. 

Dear "Shane", talk about entitlement!

Obviously you don't seem to understand what being part of a community means because if you had, you would know that most people aren't very keen to deal with someone else's disrespectful mess. Your fun ruined the morning walk for many, including newcomers and tourist who must be thinking what kind of people live and hangout in this town.

Ownup, manup, or whatever. Do your "partying" and cleanup before you leave - lest you have to get up "early." Next time don't leave any mess - including broken glass and nails - for anybody to even now there was a party the night before.

Sorry, you seem slighted by Teenie's comments. I think she was just giving kudos to those who owned up your mess. She was been very diplomatic, I am not.

Okay, maybe Newrosslander was the diplomatic one, and Teenie just hurt your dignity with her comments? I get it...

Shane... Shane, Shane, Shane. Most people have been to parties - and remember the shenanigans that can happen at teen parties, but making a mess at someone's house is different from leaving a nasty mess in the middle of a popular community trail. There is also a difference between being too lazy/drunk to pick up your empties, and purposefully smashing glass in a tunnel that dogs and small children use daily (and flinging cans as far afield as you possibly can). The last two things is people going out of their way to be jerks, and there's never an excuse for that... ever. 

PS - still lots of burnt wood and cans in the fire pit if you've had enough rest and want your chance to help clean. 

i was up walking my dogs in the tunnel, and as I made it to the other side I saw....... a grown man (dad) and his son chucking palets out of a truck down the bank. 

I guess if I was a parent, which I am not... I would parent this issue old school. And I don't care about any of their dignity. If they had some this thread wouldn't be happening. Also, there was nothing diplomatic about that statement. This isn't the first time I've heard of others cleaning up after tunnel parties. Thank you to those who do but these kids know someone is going to do it so is this what feeds entitlement? 

We saw the little kids arriving for a tunnel party carrying bottles of liquor and cases of beer a few weeks back! A liquor store in town is obviously selling to the teenagers so the city should look into this, maybe check Store ctv and crack down on the stores...

The last tunnel party show the disrespect these kids have. They smashed bottles and threw cans every where even in the tunnel.

if the parents are supporting these parties then they are as dumb as the kids doing the damage. Is it the time to install cameras on the tunnel?

we are new to town and if we had known about the social problems of drunk and out of control kids and idiot parents we would have thought twice about coming here to be honest. It’s a little worrying to walk past kids who are drunk and throwing bottles.

"we are new to town and if we had known about the social problems of drunk and out of control kids and idiot parents we would have thought twice about coming here to be honest. It’s a little worrying to walk past kids who are drunk and throwing bottles."

Hi. Welcome to Rossland. I'm sure you are a nice person and normally I stay away from these conversations but a bunch of adults ganging up on some kids just seems wrong somehow.  Also I feel like we should let members of our community know when they are way off base. 

Honestly the comment above about social problems Is just so wrong on so many levels. Kids have been partying in tunnels like the very one we have for many many years, it's a part of growing up in a small town. Social problems, please get over yourself your sense of entitlement to a perfect bubble wrapped world is disgusting. If you are the kind of person that would think twice about moving to our beautiful town because a few teenagers are getting drunk close to town so they don't have to drink and drive out to a sand pit to hide their drinking then by all means leave, you don't seem to fit in anyways. I think most people would agree that a few broken beer bottles is a small price to pay if it keeps drunk teenagers from driving. And they said they were planning on cleaning up the next day, so good on them!

It's becoming more and more depressing every time I read posts on the bhubble I think I'm gonna have to take a break for awhile. While I am all for healthy debate and discussion I see very little of that on here, just a bunch of entitled people with to much time on their hands slinging poo at each other. And this conversation is slinging poo at teenagers just being teenagers, when did that become so wrong? 

And yes I'm sure someone will respond to this with their own self righteous comment, which you are definitely entitled to...but being entitled to an opinion doesn't mean that it adds to a conversation nor does it mean that people want to hear it.

Go skiing the mountains are beautiful  

Dave T.

Hey Dave,

i am normally nice :)

You should also think about the tax dollar it costs to clean up, it comes from our city taxes!

also it’s not about ganging up, it’s about being responsible. If I slipped on the ice and fell on the broken glass, would this be fine with you? I think not. Young kids, eldelry people and dogs use this trail.

also if it’s fine to have underage parties then why not have them in their own yards? At least then they can clean up the mess.

Hey Dave,

i am normally nice :)

You should also think about the tax dollar it costs to clean up, it comes from our city taxes!

also it’s not about ganging up, it’s about being responsible. If I slipped on the ice and fell on the broken glass, would this be fine with you? I think not. Young kids, eldelry people and dogs use this trail.

also if it’s fine to have underage parties then why not have them in their own yards? At least then they can clean up the mess.

Id rather have my kids partying close to home than driving drunk and causing accidents. It’s completely naive to think that teenagers won’t try to drink alcohol. Anyone who has ever had kids knows that the more you tell kids they can’t do something, the more they’ll rebel and do it. As for the cost to city tax payers, nil, because either the party goes or some other concerned citizen cleaned it up. I’d be more concerned about the piles of dog poop piling up in the trails. What does that tell visitors about the city?!? Teenagers partying it up just tells me people like to have fun here. Give them a break or would you rather have them injecting heroin in secrecy?

in closing i would also like to congratulate you that you self-certify yourself as being normally nice. Congratulations your card is in the mail!

I live very close to the tunnel and use it daily so I'm very familiar with the mess. I actually don't have a big problem with the parties themselves (yes, kids will drink so perhaps better have them doing within walking distance of home.) But the broken glass and leaving the clean-up for others is jerkish behaviour.  Assuming they will continue to party at the tunnel, how might we get the kids themselves to better police themselves and pitch in on the clean-up?

A couple of suggestions. 1. There must be a couple or three parents who know their kids are at the party. Have them organize an early morning clean-up party. 2.  Have some neighbours drop into the party itself and have a conversation about breaking glass and clean up. Maybe bring along a metal garbage can for empties. Maybe a few of them would get the hint. pm me if you want to try this. I'm willing. 

Other ideas? 

Just observing here - grew up in Rossland...there may be more to do around town than there used to be and kids shouldn't be doing it and weu can say all of that - but they are teenagers in small town BC - and drinking has been glorified all over social media so being a teen in these times is not something I would ever want compared to being a teen when I was young and newsflash - we did the same thing and I hate to say...it is wrong - and all of these comments are completely warranted.  There was never much to do in Rossland after a certain time...and house parties always happened. but so did outdoor parties and just a huge heads up - alot of these parties also include kids from other towns... so it is a shared responsibility but also a community responsiblity to provide an area for youth to have other activities.  What about another teen centre?  I knew an incredible person who provided that to the community - Mrs B -and she ended up taking it all on and couldn't keep going - but there has to be other options too for kids these days. It is also a parents' responsibility to know where there kids are at. Perhaps community paid-for signage to pick up afterwards or you know, trail cams to catch those responsible is another idea

The lack of immediate clean-up of cans, broken bottles, wrappers, nails, clothing, condoms, and even tampons is just disrespectful....there is a garbage can attached to the tunnel, for Pete's sake!  I have cleaned up many messes left behind after tunnel parties, as well as my share of dog poop (for the person who brought that up!).  I've lived here almost 40 years and raised kids myself; I know that (some) kids will party, but there should still be an expectation of cleaning up after yourselves, and not waiting for others, especially "senior ladies" to do it for you.  

Just a side note - sometimes it actually is your taxes that pay for clean-up; one example is the party in November where hundreds of nails embedded in melted glass were left behind in and around the fire pit, and had to be cleaned up by the City crew.  Another was the party where pallets had been burned and no less than 100 deadly metal fasteners - with approximately 42 teeth on each one - were left behind.  City crews have often scooped up the remains of the fire pit.

milty, I like your suggestions; hopefully some of the parents will do what they can to ensure that we all have a safe place to play.

hobbit, you make a good point about Mrs. B's drop-in centre....she did wonders for the youth of our community.  I don't know what is happening with YAN (Youth Action Network), but they have a new building near the high school.  Here is their Facebook page link:  https://www.facebook.com/pg/RosslandYAN/about/?ref=page_internal