Aggressive coyote was stalking your large black lab in Redstone this morning

A notice to the dog’s owner but also anyone else who uses the Louie Joe. A home owner woke up to what sounded like dogs fighting in front of her house in upper Redstone, close to the bottom of the Louie Joe trail.

A sturdy looking black lab with a light on its back was attempting to walk away from a coyote. He would turn, chase the coyote, begin to walk away and the coyote would go for his back legs. He wasn’t actually getting bit although he seemed quite frustrated. This went on for about 10 mins until the coyote gave up.

It appeared to be hunting behavior against a large sturdy dog. A smaller/older dog (or kid?) wouldn’t have had a chance

Unfortunately, that is typical coyote behaviour.....try to get the dog to chase after it to lure it back to where the rest of the pack is waiting. Dogs and cats are simply food to coyotes. I do hope the dog owner sees your post.

I understand the post and the concern, but also, what do people expect living in a mountain town? People see bears, they panic, bears get shot, unfortunately. I don't get the 'surprise' factor, and I really hate to see when animals get harmed or killed when they're just doing what wild animals do. Keep your pets secure, not doing as they please, because unfortunately the wild animals pay the price. Seen many many dogs, unleashed going after bears, next day you hear another bear gets shot. It's not right, we all live in their land, not the other way around.

@ D.W

I agree with everything you have said, but I really don't understand this "We live on their land" argument.  Yes, absolutely we should be able to live peacefully alongside these animals and we should have the intelligence to do so in a responsible manner so the loss of wildlife is minimized/eliminated, but why is it their land? I get the sense anytime a wildlife debate comes up here that some people would prefer to see no humans on the planet.  If there were no humans on the planet, everywhere including metropolises like New York would be land for wildlife - so where are humans supposed to live? The most desolate regions of the world that don't support natural life?  

I know it's a minor quibble and I don't want it to be an attack on you personally, I've just seen this argument a few times and I really don't get the basis for it.

I just meant we have to all adapt and get along because we keep pushing and developing land, properties further and further into the woods, and while we have a choice, the wild animals don't, and if you're a hungry coyote it's just normal to get a cat or dog, so we shouldn't be surprised. 

I agree with D.W., and while you have a point JMK, I believe what D.W. is emphasizing is "responsibility"; too many people want to leave garbage out wherever & whenever and blame the bears for coming around, or not properly securing doors and blame the bears for being opportunistic....or letting their dogs run at large (that's "what dogs do"), and then holler that they've been shot, poisoned, killed by wild animals, or just got lost, never to be seen again....seems like more and more people don't ever want to be responsible for bad consequences that come as a result of bad decisions/choices that 'they' have made.

@ Mikospeeps

My argument really might just be semantics and terminology, and DW has replied that they were just emphasizing responsibility. Like I said I agree with practically everything D.W wrote, and I absolutley agree that people should have more 'responsibility'. I just think at times people on here and forums like Rossland Talks almost give more rights to the animals as opposed to the humans and I just don't get that argument. I agree with criticizing irresponsible people and would much prefer to see a sustainable approach to managing wildlife in the area, it's just the tone at times is perplexing. Maybe it's just semantics and I'm reading it wrong, just the sense I've gotten from a few posters almost reads like 'Rossland shouldn't exist and we should give it back to the bears' and DW just happened to be the latest one so I questioned them on it. 

Yes, it's very difficult to get the gist of what people are really saying (i.e. meaning) many times, especially with txts & emails, as we all have our own filters....I guess this conversation makes a truism of the saying 

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

LOL!

I think we need to cut both man and beast more slack when we live in such an idyllic setting... :) 

Thanks for the heads up bhubble post.  They are appreciated, and I even broke my no typing on bhubble unless you are selling an item rule.

The next 4-6 weeks is mating season for coyotes. Please do not let your dogs out alone. The coyote gets your dog to chase him and then somewhere in the distance the pack waits for your dog. Then the outcome is tragic as they can & will attack/kill your pets. Just be aware it can happen to your beloved pet.  {Coyote breeding typically peaks in late February and early March, the gestation period averages 58 to 63 days. Male coyotes can become more aggressive during this time of year, the long and short of it all is that coyotes always pose a risk to your dog (and other small pets). That risk increases during mating season.}