What Canada Day means to me

I’m sorry to hear that that the Rossland Museum has decided to cancel its Canada Day Celebration, and instead focus upon yet another instance of Canada’s injustice to its people.  They’ve chosen to follow a social media movement which is leveraging that incident to rouse support to fix a critical problem at the core of our nation.   

True, Canada is not perfect--it has behaved very badly at times.  Canada’s treatment of its indiginous peoples, Chinese workers, Japanese Canadians, Doukhobor families, and non-white citizens, to name some of many, has been deplorable in the past, and still remains so.  There is no excuse for these colonial and unjust behaviours.  The shame is deserved. 

However, Canada has also done a great many good things in its long history, and it’s the Good of Canada that we honour on Canada Day.  It’s the Good of Canada that we wish to hold up as an ideal, and to strive for. To dismiss celebrating that Good because we haven’t yet resolved some serious faults is a shame of its own.

As a Canadian citizen, a privileged white settler, I am thus accountable for my country’s past and current treatment of, and behaviour towards all people in this country and all over the world.  I will also be accountable for Canada’s future actions, so I advocate celebrating Canada Day fully (no fireworks pls) and positively, showing ourselves and others what kind of country I believe we can be.  And get down to work on making it a reality!

You lost me on " As a Canadian citizen, a privileged white settler, I am thus accountable for my country’s past and current treatment of, and behaviour towards all people in this country and all over the world. " I am an individual and accountable for my actions only, I will never feel any "white guilt" for what was done in the past, present and future that I wasn't involved in personally. I am NOT my country nor am I my government. But hey, you are free to feel guilty if you like. 

One quick comment..and not to direct this at anyone in particular but..saying the words "I am accountable" doesn't make you accountable. If a person were actually held accountable for the past crimes and infringments on human rights that are referenced...that person would be tried, convicted and sentenced to jail. Saying the words "I am accountable"...when a person clearly isnt...is a bit silly. I see it all the time now. People claiming to b accountable... Cool post and maybe you can hustle some likes on social media....but that's not how it works.  

Hello,

I strongly support the movement that is in fact beyond social media. Social media is just the top of the iceberg. It is a movement started by Idle No More, an organization dedicated to connecting indigenous communities and individuals around the world https://idlenomore.ca/about-the-movement/

They have multiple campaigns that go beyond Canada Day, this is not a trend, this in an international base of education, protection of environment(that even white people can appreciate!) and dedicating their support to the continual dismissal of indigenous rights. 
Canada Day in theory, is a great way to come together, to celebratr our history and future. But I am not proud of Canadas history or the rectification of these "incidents of Canada's injustice to ITS PEOPLE " as you say. 
This is not something spurred on by the discovery of 215 children found in Kamloops , this is a continual injustice done to indigenous communities throughout our country. Do you morally feel good going to a federally sponsored event when there are still reserves with no clean drinking water? Do you feel your white privilege when you sit back and admire the Canada flag blowing in a crisp breeze when there could be thousands more victims of a Canadian genocide  stil unearthed? Couldn't that money be dedicated to legal action or correct use of lidar technology in finding more children? 

Even in our own region the Autonomous Sinixt are putting in efforts to reclaim their existence. I would much rather see federal money go to them to come and speak to educate people. 

While I agree with both e.Christine and chuckinrosslan's posts, I believe there could be a compromise. I definitely think think that with so many Canadians gathered together, we could take this opportunity to hold a mome of silence. Not just for this Canada day but for every Canada day to come. We, as a country, as part of this country, have done horrific things. Wheather we ourselves were part of them or not! I most definitely feel guilt, shame and sadness knowing what Canada did and IS doing to our neighours and friends. The attempted genocide of a culture and people is still happening by the Canadian Government and some of our people. Until we wake up and realize that we can actually learn from the Indigenous Peoples....this genocide will continue.

Good points about "accountability" Darren and Ortho--you're right, it's not like I'm liable to suffer any punitive consequences for those past actions.  I still do feel some ownership and responsibility though, simply because I see my life of privilege as having been paid for by others' deprivation, without their consent and to their past and present detriment.  Not "guilt" so much as "debt".

Continued talk without action has become intolerable for enough Canadians that I believe real change has finally begun, with a long way to go yet.  IdleNoMore is a vital part of that progress and worthy of our support.  Owing to my own personality and values, I may have a differing perspective here and there, like the one prompting this discussion, but neither perspective is wrong, just another point of view.  

Thanks to all those contributing comments.  It's great to hear and consider alternate perspectives on a celebration that I, for one, have simply taken for granted most of my life.

Chuck     

Thanks for being a part of this super important conversation. Did you know that the City of Rossland is in the process of updating the Official Community Plan right now and reconciliation is a topic being discussed?

While it is good to voice your concerns on Bhubble, the only way to know that City Hall is hearing you is by contacting them directly. I have been in conversation with Kathy Moore and Stacey Lightbourne about this and I encourage you to put in your 2 cents too. As you can see at this page: https://rossland.city/ocp-update you can e-mail your thoughts, ideas, concerns to ocp-input@rossland.ca the window for OCP discussions is closing on June 30, so please speak up now! I strongly believe we need something in our OCP about this, so we can move forward with real action.

I also encourage you to learn about the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action - many of them apply to "all levels of government" which means our little town has a guideline on what to do. A quick Google search just led me to this document: https://data.fcm.ca/documents/tools/BCMC/Pathways_to_reconciliation_EN.pdf from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, looks like an interesting read, lots of information about how we can move forward.