Red Mountain Housing - Youve got to be kidding....

RED COMMUNITY HOUSING OUTREACH PROGRAM As we prepare for another awesome season at RED we are reaching out to our community to help us support our staff by expanding our rental accommodation this winter. Our employees are vital to the operation of RED and add life to our winter communities. With the immediate rental housing inventory reduction in our region, every additional room and bed helps. If you have accommodation that is underutilised – whether it be a basement suite, a spare room or shared accommodation opportunity, we are asking you to consider renting to one or more of our amazing employees. So many of these incredible workers that you see throughout the winter – our lift hosts, ski and snowboard instructors, event staff, chefs, servers, volunteers, and I personally – will appreciate you for opening your door to those that help make RED what it is for so many guests. If you’re interested in supporting this cause, you can complete the form at the link below. This form will be confidentially distributed to RED managers for their hired staff and will not be posted publicly anywhere else. If you have any further questions, please email us at info@redresort.com. With thanks from the entire RED team. Don Thompson, GM Oh please! - let me house your employees so you can make more money. How about you address your problem & build affordable housing at Red? But wait that might scare off the rich people....Beat it Don!!

I'd have to agree. Red Mountain raises the price of our pass, keeps cutting our parking to nothing, and gives us plee to house staff? What a JOKE!

Didn't Don once ask us all to "Fight the man......"

Happy to help house red employees and have in the past, but this plea after they do nothing year after year is such a joke. Lots of people doing one season here just want a cheap room and would be happy with shared accommodation, to hang out with other staff. Build something for them. 

So 5'ish years ago we were told that in response to Vail resort's Epic pass and pattern of buying up ski resorts that Red Mountain was going to take a stand and remain independent to preserve the lifetysle and community of Rossland.  But to do this they were going to need money, everyobe else's money, so they were going to sell ownership.  Well, not really owenership, more of like a donation with perks. Now while they didn't collect on much ($1.5 Mil out of $12m pledged I beleive, I could be wrong), the money they raised went towards catering to people with money (overnight cabins and clubhouse) not really doing a whole lot with the mountain.  (That being said in the last ten years they have done a lot with the resort). The crowdfunding campaign flopped as a money maker but exploded as a marketing tool.  The whole "ownership" thing really caught on.  And for anybody who's lived here for awhile, I'm sure they've notcied how much real estate has picked up in the last 3-5 years.  Sure, it wasn't they only factor but prices took a big jump one the crowd funding campagn took swing.

So now we're in a housing shortage that I won't say is caused but defiantely catalyzed by the whole fake ownership buzz created by the crowdfunding campagn.  And now Red Mountain wants us to open doors for their staff when they helped create the housing shortage and refuse to commit to any kind of staff housing.

And let's remember how Don and Howard told us to fight the man, Vail and the Epic pass, for 5 years then once that was done they signed Red onto the Mountain Collective Pass, the Epic pass's direct competiton, fight the man then join the other man.

Also, does anybody else remmeber when they tried to put a golf course in our watershed upstream of the community?  First and only time I've seen protesters in Rossland.

The mountain will most likely be short staffed this year as employes move on when they can't find anywhere else to live.

Also, Red Mountain is not requiring that their staff be vaccinated at all. Keep that in mind if you plan on renting a room out to any staff this year. I know of at least one incident last year in which a Red Mountain employee went to Whistler and brought Covid back to the house he was staying at.

Bojanggles, I was wondering what their plans were regarding vaxxes. There's so many ass backwards mixed messages it's mind blowing. 

D.W. - I contacted them directly and they said that while they strongly recommend all staff to be vaccinated, it is not a requirement at this time. Staff who are not vaccinated will be required to wear PPE and submit to weekly Covid testing. I was also told that this policy may change as a result of internal conversations or further discussions with their union. 

Bojanggles, thanks for the info. :)

Submit weekly covid testing-as a stopgap to requiring all staff to be vaccinated? Thats a weak safe work practices mandate. These workers tend to be a more social group of younger folks who congregate all winter. So they will be serving me and my kids, unvaccinated, our fries?? I guess we will be avoiding the lodge and other indoor spaces.

If you're vaccinated, what are you worried about?

MJ, the problem with not mandating the vaccination is the virus is more transmissible amongst the unvaccinated.  if you have an unvaccinated in your home and they get covid,  you are still required to quarantine.  No work, no groceries, no restaurants when you're vaccinate, no school....your life stops because of another persons selfishness. Not to mention, kids under 12 cannot get the vaccine yet. 

I can't believe this has turned into a conversation about vaccination.

There is a real housing crisis here and it has nothing to do with being vaccinated.

Red Mountain cannot mandate that their staff be vaccinated, and neither (legally) can most of the other businesses in town who are doing it (and yes, people in Rossland have LOST their jobs because they aren't vaccinated, even though their employer is breaking the law).

If you are vaccinated, quit whining and leave everyone else alone. Covid is a virus that 99.9% of people will survive just fine. Get over it.

Bikes - Sorry to burst your bubble, but Red Mountain can mandate that their staff be vaccinated, as can any other private business in Canada. This is legal, it does not break any laws.

Also, the survivability rate of Covid is not 99.9%. I don't know where you get your information from, but it is incorrect. 

@Bojanggles. Right. Let's be precise. There is a 98.31% survivability rate. Check ANY stats. I guess I exaggerated. 

Demanding that your employees be vaccinated is straight up wrong.

But again - this post is about HOUSING, not COVID and not VACCINATIONS. 

Stop making everything in the god damn world about Covid. No wonder nobody anywhere can move on.

what they said ^^

Bikes - That is a more accurate number. I see the fact that your original number was off by an entire order of magnitude does not seem to bother you in the slightest. When you look at the global population, the difference between 0.1% and 1.69% is a staggering number of people. 

Your personal opinion that it is wrong for employers to require their employees to be vaccinated, is simply, your personal opinion. Thankfully, your feelings are not taken into account when forming public health policies. 

You are correct, this post is about housing, but it is also about Covid. As I previously stated, Red Mountain is not requiring their employees to be vaccinated, take that into account if you are considering renting a room out to their staff. 

If you are feeling frustrated that everything is about Covid and nobody anywhere can move on, then I suggest that you do your part and go get vaccinated. 

Back to Housing...Does Red have enough property to build staff housing? Without further cutting into parking etc? They just dont want to spend cash on housing? Whats the roadblock? Many of our local workers can not even find housing let alone to house the volume of people needed to run Red Mountain. 

They could have built staff housing in the location that they have recently received permission to build micro-flats next to the Josie. https://www.castlegarnews.com/news/rossland-council-supports-micro-flats-development-at-red/

The new hostel would make fine employee accommodation,  no ?

For the price of property and a new building, Red could buy the Rex hotel in the Gulch. I believe there are 12 rooms total. Make one a communal kitchen and the rest 2 beds per room. Red could hire a full time employee to shuttle staff a few times per shift changes etc. That way it could leave more housing in town for people looking for long term rentals. 

Hey... I've  got an idea...how about we seize all the unvaxeds Houses/property, put them in some kind of camp.... far far away from the Vaxed because apparently "the vaxed can't get or spread covid as easlily as the unvaxed" That will open up many houses, and you wont have to worry about getting tainted fries served to you by those selfish uncaring people either....

You're an idiot 'pureblood' 

the only ones suggesting 'camps' or likening the covid crisis to navi Germany are the unvaccinated.  To everyone else, this is a disgusting and disgraceful comparison, leaving the people who make the comparison antisemitic. 

GROW UP!

It didn't just happen overnight...It had to have started off small.... it's a mindset, people against people. There is so much hatred today regarding this....you're 100% right, it is disgraceful. Let's learn from history... there is no difference between vaxed and unvaxed... we all can get and spread it just the same.

PureBlood - You are incorrect. There is a difference between those who are vaccinated and those who refuse it. I just looked up the Canadian stats and 23.4% (unvaccinated) of the entire population make up 83.8% of the current caseload. I would say this shows a major difference between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated in how this virus is contracted and transmitted.

Pureblood--what could that name be in reference to, hmm. The folks making bad faith comparisons to Nazi Germany regarding vaccination are almost always the facists themselves. It's dismaying to know that people like 'Pureblood' live in this town. 

I said camps...(as in containment camps, and they are being built) not Nazi camps...that was Bentobox. and by pureblood I mean not having the experimental gene therapy jab....there's not a fascist bone in my body. 

You're here lying, spreading misinformation, and crying fascism, but your name is literally Pure Blood.

Your attempts at hiding your ideology would be laughable if it weren't so concerning that you're my neighbor. 

Food for thought. Grouse has implemented the vaccine passport in order to ski. All visitors need to be double vaccinated.

https://www.nsnews.com/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/vaccine-passports-will-be-mandatory-to-ski-or-snowboard-at-grouse-mountain-this-winter-4525839

If your my neighbour, you'll know that I only have love in my heart... Hate Covid, not people... I would never wish anything bad on anyone. The misinformation is in thinking that vaxed can't spread it. The seperation between vaxed and unvaxed is concerning. Have a great night, love you

Pureblood - This vaccine is not experimental gene therapy. It does not edit or make changes to your genetic material. Your chromosomes are located in the cell nucleus and the mRna from the vaccine does not have a mechanism to pass through the nucleus wall. It is like trying to get through a locked door without having a key. 

The mRna is simply a set of instructions that the ribosomes in your cell use to manufacture the spikey protein that is associated with the Covid virus. 

Ps. I thought your user name was a Harry Potter reference.