Ant control

Anyone have any recommendations for someone in the area who deals with ant control??  They keep getting into our house somehow.  

Image result for ant magnifying glass

Image result for ant magnifying glass

The only one I'm aware of is Kootenay Pest Control:

https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Canada/Kootenay-Pest-Control/7828051.html

Borax - you can get it at Ferarro's - Mule Team brand.  Mix it with powdered sugar and sprinkle where you see the ants.  You can buy ant bait at hardware stores, but this is the same stuff.

Borax is a poison thats harmful to pets and humans.  We use a spray bottle with water, dish soap and vinegar, works on small ants not great for the carpenters.

Toxicity

Borax isn't just toxic to bugs, plants and fungi, it's also toxic to dogs and to people as well. Within two hours of ingestion of sodium borate, your dog may experience symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, drooling and excessive thirst, warns the NPIC. Contact with borax can cause redness or irritation of the skin. Inhalation of borax by your pooch can cause coughing or shortness of breath, according to Vetstream. Chronic ingestion of borax may result in damage to your pup's endocrine system, brain and other organs, including his reproductive organs, the EPA says. Borax can also cause irritation of your dog's eyes and even lead to tremors, seizures, lethargy, coma and even death if ingested in large quantities.

Borax is okay in my opinion, but not great. You have to put it in a safe place, away from pets, kids (and bees!!) mix with sugar and water, google to find the right amount. The idea is that the ants take it back to the nest and they all die from eating it. It is sketchy, doesn't always work and you really don't want the beneficial insects (bees) getting into it because they will die too.

A better and much more effective option is diatomaceous earth, you put it around your house where the ants are getting in. It has sharp bits that get on their feet and they quickly learn not to walk through it and therefore stop coming into the house. It works like a charm and the bees are fine because they just fly. I bought some at Tails Pet Supplies a month or two ago.

Also, cinnamon works like diatomaceous earth too, its quite good but diatomaceous earth is a bit better.