Front line workers

How do we get the church bells in Rossland to ring evey night at 7 o clock to support all the front line workers?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you'll need to go to the church at 7 o clock and ring the bells.

Hope this helps.

I am in full support of all the workers that are running the essentials and appreciate all they are doing. However in terms of this whole noise making thing I get this cringing feeling that we are just like a bunch of jailbirds clanging on the bars of our cells.

Christy, this isn't about you. It's about the courageous people working and risking their own health for the greater well being of their community. On both local and global scales there has been a supportive movement through cheering and making noise (and music) so they know how appreciated they are. 

If you don't want to bang pots or ring a bell don't. You can support them by donating to the Grinds coffee program at the hospital, for example. Here is the link to the post: http://www.bhubble.com/classifieds/node/121186 

I wasn't trying to make it about me. I made noise yesterday too but in my heart it was for the millions of people that may lose their jobs or businesses permanently and the chances of those losses increase the longer this goes on.

Let me repeat that I greatly appreciate all the essential workers out there. However they are lucky to be getting paid and haven't lost their jobs for now, unlike so many people that are not getting a pay check or may encounter ruinous debt or bankruptcy very soon. My analogy about being jailed still stands, as peoples' mental health will surely suffer as well while they are cooped up and pondering what their future will be, or indeed if they will have any future at all. 

That sounds really difficult. Hopefully we can responsibly (distance!) go for walks for our mental well-being, and use this break as an opportunity to rest and do new things. I've started two online courses, for example a free online Mindfulness course: https://palousemindfulness.com/index.htmlApparently regular mindfulness practice helps to boost the immune system! Hard to believe, but it was measured in a vaccination study.

If we succesfully socially distance this, more people will have a future in the sense that they won't be dead. As for financial burden, I hear of great efforts going toward the food bank and ensuring that people aren't evicted for those with no savings and who have lost their job. I guess that it's for times like these that we're all told to have an emergency fund. At least a valuable lesson for the future, even it it's a little late to start one now.

I actually agree with Christy And would like to point out that there are LOTS of essential workers out there risking their lives, not just doctors and nurse.  Nurses snd Doctors are probably the most well trained for this type of situation. The essential workers who aren't trained or equipped are going to be most at risk.  

As for noise and church bells, there are still people in this community that have sensory issues.  Noise is a huge issue for my household so, no, we don't participate in the 7pm noise fest...even though we have an essential worker in our house.  So far the noise hasn't been an issue, but adding church bells would make it hard to shut out. 

It sounds like a great idea, Truman. I know the churches in Montréal are ringing their bells and the 9:00 gun (cannon) in Stanley Park is being discharged at 7:00 in support. 

After looking around a bit, I see the Catholic Church has a Facebook page; here's the contact number: (250-362-7709. 

I'm thinking the 'Red Roof Church' (formerly the United Church) would best be accessed through Seven Summits Learning. Their contact number is (250) 362-7772 and they have a contact form on their website, sevensummitslearning.com. 

And I think you'd have to have volunteers to do the actual ringing. I think there is a certain art to it but I bet it would be kind of fun too! I've always found the sound of bells an uplifting, encouraging, happy sound. I think it would be great to hear them pealing out. 

The bells sounded great tonight.

Thank You!

Yes they did, big thanks to whoever rang them.

And please, to the few offended, you are still welcome to enjoy excellent health care courtesy of your friends and neighbours. Here's hoping a siren isn't required.

Oh, man!!! I didn't know it was going to happen....I'll be listening tomorrow though!

It may seem churlish to raise questions about a touching gesture of solidarity for the new heroes of our era. But there’s a case to be made for staying inside and avoiding this subtly political act.

The biggest problems health-care workers face in battling the virus have nothing to do with a shortage of emotional support. What they really lack are the tools to do the job, including life-saving ventilators, sufficient intensive-care beds or even basics like face masks and protective clothing

Can we please not turn a simple gesture of love and support political? I cheer every night so my neighbours know that we're in this together, whether or not they are an essential worker, laid off, vulnerable or simply scared. They might be scared for their lives, the lives of their loved ones, their jobs and livelihoods. The fabric of our society is being rocked to the core and I don't think any one of us feels like we are on stable ground right now, so let's cheer every night to say, we're all in this together!

Well stated Alynn!

We are all in this together (separately of course:)

Check this out- super cool:

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/03/parisian-entertains-neighbours-with-...

I think that people need to do what feels best for them, contributing variously to the mosaic of our world, and that there is no right or wrong here.