Best cars for winter driving in Rossland?

Hi, I have just moved to Rossland with my family and i'm wondering if good snowtires on a regular car (we have a minivan) will do okay on the roads in the winter? Or do we really need a 4x4 or awd something? What cars do you drive here? Thanks

I drove a front-wheel drive mini-van (Toyota) in Rossland for almost a decade (recently). Choose your routes, and you are fine.  Good snow tires are key.  Welcome to Rossland!

A free car is best! Studded winters all around is probably a good bet as well

It depends on what street you're living on.  Upper victoria... you need AWD or 4x4.  First ave... you're good with a regular car and GOOD winter tires.  I had a golf for a long time but when I moved to my new place I had to get an AWD 4x4.  Also... if you moved from Alberta you at least know how to drive on ice/snow (hills not so much

It depends on what street you're living on.  Upper victoria... you need AWD or 4x4.  First ave... you're good with a regular car and GOOD winter tires.  I had a golf for a long time but when I moved to my new place I had to get an AWD 4x4.  Also... if you moved from Alberta you at least know how to drive on ice/snow (hills not so much

Buy good winter tires. Any car will do.

Thanks everyone. Moved from squamish/whistler so used to snow but not the ice and the hills. My car was rubbish in heavy snow last winter but didnt have good tires. Will get some fancy ones with walnut shells or something and hopefully be good.

The snow here is alot different than whistler/squamish snow. For the most part it is pretty dry snowhere so the snow isnt greasy like you get on the coast. Good winter tires on a front wheel drive car works pretty good but probably not all that great on coastal snowy roads. AWD is  stress free with winter tires around here. 

I love Subarus as they really stick to the road in winter. Just happen to have a Subaru Outback for sale, $4000, low mileage. You are the first to know! I'll be advertising it next week.