Malde creek

Would just like to say thanks to all the earth loving mountain bikers who are worried about "their" trail systems getting chewed up by motorized vehicles, for completely destroying the road to the top of malde creek. Your activities are way less destructive than those of people enjoying the same areas without peddles. Trail society should be forced to pay to have the road re graded. 

You make a really good point. The car drops are more destructive than the ATV's.

I'm pretty positive that most of the 'destruction' of the road is from a few years of water damage and no grading as there hasn't been any recent logging (which is how most of those roads are put in and maintained). 

Also, there are people that use that road to access other activities as well, such as hunting. 

If you aren't using it to shuttle your bike, why would it concern you that the road is in rough shape anyways?

Concur with applestoapples - the worst parts of Malde are clearly washed out. No need to hate on mountain bikers; they're just people out to enjoy good exercise, fresh air and gravity. And in all my years here, I've never seen empties or shotgun shells on the bike trails, so maybe they do care about the Earth, as best they can.

Ya you guys a right. There's no way that two wheel drive vans making half a dozen trips up and down the road all summer contribute at all. If ypure making a profit off these roads then maintaining them should also be necessary. I wonder why after the top the roads are in way better condition... Maybe it's not raining as much on the other side. 

The difference is the trails are made specifically for non-motorised use and in some cases that "non-motorised use" is a specific part of the land use agreement. They are designed for mountain bikes, hikers and horse riders and they get considerably damaged by motorised vehicles. The Malde Creek Road is exactly that - a road. It is designed for vehicles to drive up and down, whether the road users are hunting, partying, berry picking, collecting firewood, illegally dumping construction waste, ATVing, commercially logging, shooting off shotguns, dirt biking, showing visitors the view over Rossland or, yes, shuttling mountain bikes. Every one of those vehicles contributes to the damage on the road not just the ones carrying mountain bikes. If you want to stop mountain biking vehicles using Malde Creek because it damages the road then by the same measure you need to stop all vehicles. Then you will have a perfectly good, undamaged road (which no-one uses).

And yes, I am a mountain biker.

Cheers to that, Phillus. 

Good Ol, I didn't say they weren't contributing, however, I don't think that you can blame it all on the traffic. Any road takes maintenance to keep it drivable, especially a bush road that sees lots of use from all sorts of outdoorsy types (who all may own 2wd vans or vehicles that they beat up to get to where they want to go). The grade also changes at the top which would make a difference to how much wear and tear occurs via water movement and, yes, the amount of use by vehicles. I don't know that anyone is 'making a profit' off the road either...I think if anyone is making substantial $$, it is likely a private logging company, hence, the reason the road exists at all. Of course, this is all just speculation, but it seems likely to me. The trails society is a non-profit organization, not a money maker, but definitely helps to draw in tourism which is a big part of what keeps our town alive. There is no way that they should have to pay to have the road graded, especially given that it is a multi-use area. I have to add that your sarcasm isn't adding anything to the conversation that you started. I've had my say and am now bowing out of the convo, not that I think it will change your mind as you clearly came to rant, not discuss.  

yes this is a rant, not a discussion. Is there a rant category? Next time I'll post on there. Just pi&$@? Me off when I try to go out there to shoot guns and dump a bunch of garbage that I have to beat up on my big ol dirty truck to do so. Might as well just go to the dump on the way to the gun range but wheres the fun in that?? 

Much easier on the old subaru to dump the junk out the Cascade highway... nice and smooth...easier on the suspension. While Im out there I can get some free water from the tailings pond overflow pipe but becasue I feel guilty Ill just dump my garbage behind the museum garbage bins, seeems alot more rightish for some reason.

Much easier on the old subaru to dump the junk out the Cascade highway... nice and smooth...easier on the suspension. While Im out there I can get some free water from the tailings pond overflow pipe but becasue I feel guilty Ill just dump my garbage behind the museum garbage bins, seeems alot more rightish for some reason.

Who's the person building that big pile of branches and yard waste on the side of the road?  They must have a yard care business or somethig,  probably drives excessively fast around town and double parks downtown a lot too. They'd be one of the people making multiple trips up and down that road.

Applestoapples remember "multi-use area" if the man bike trail is not on the kcts map it is fair game for multi use.