New TRP assistance restrictions

Super disappointed with the new restrictions for TRP assistance.  Was ok paying for a decrepit money pit of a curling rink as long as I could still afford to take my child to the pool, but at almost $20 just for the two of us, that's just no longer feasable.  2 year olds don't curl.  Speak up and engage young parents, I know you're tired, but the alternative is your money being spent on other's priorities while your children miss out

We tried to go swimming at the pool as a family when my mom was here for a visit a week ago. It was going to cost us more than $30 (3 adults, 2 kids over age 3 and baby). Maybe it was more like $40, I can't quite remember.

In the end, only my mother swam with 2 of our kids because if she paid (her license says Ontario) it only cost her $11.50 for the 3 of them.

Absurd, isn't it?

What is more absurd in my mind, is that our two communities can't get along in such a way as to offer excellent services for EVERYONE that lives here. This is absolutely ridiculous. I know there is a history that exists, that I likely hardly know enough about, but still.... this is ridiculous.

And who suffers? Our kids?

Well said!

I used to go to the swimming pool in Trail twice a week, now I can't afford it and I have started to to go the pool in Castlegar which charges only 6$ for adult and 3$ for a child (14$ for a family of five). Trail charges the Rosslanders 12.60$ for an adult, and 26.80$ for a family!

Rossland needs to reach an agreement with Trail and start contributing,

It is not only for family with children, there are a lot of courses suitable for the elderly at the Trail pool, It becomes a place where they meet and socialize after excercizing. it is great to see 80 year olds meeting there regularly, having aquafit and then go for coffee. It keeps them 'alive' and active even in winter ( the circuit at the Cominco arena is great too: my mum is too scared to walk the Rossland streets in winter)

Maybe we could start a petition in Rossland and see how many more Rossland residents would be happy to direct Rossland funding to the City of Trail park and Recreation agreement?

The Castlegar Aquatic Centre has one rate for everyone.

http://www.rdck.ca/assets/Services/Recreation/Chelseys~Graphics/Castlega...

Happy to sign that petition with a flourish. It's ridiculous how expensive it is to swim around here. 

I agree, I used to have a pass there , I moved to Rossland and they changed the price the year after. I haven't been there since. My mother recently moved to Rossland and would like to do the aquafit program but they  charge too much for her to pay on a pension to go regularity. I would sign as well....

I agree with everything said above, it is frustrating.  I swim laps in Castlegar as it is <$4 per swim with a punch pass.

That said, i bought a 10X punch pass to the Trail Pool and brought proof of purchase into the City of Rossland.  I was reimbursed a percentage of it. I can't quite remember the amount as it was a year or so ago.  But it was a reasonable amount and they have (or had perhaps) a budget for that annually.  They might just not promote it as I only heard from a friend.  

I don't think the city should even discuss access to the Trail pool until Trial makes an effort to negotiate with Rossland in a reasonalble manor. Boycott the Trail pool. The Castlegar pool is a great option.

Absolutely agree, it costs a ridiculous amount of money for a Rossland family to go swimming in Trail. It seems very silly that a family living 10 minutes up the road has to pay so much more to go swimming or play squash ($22.40 to play squash - for one person!!). I understand there's some history here, but our communities work together in so many ways - in fact, many of us Rosslanders work in Trail and contribute to the community - so can't we just work together on this one and have equal access? Frustrating!