Recycling Motor Oil

So, is there anywhere in the Rossland/Trail area to recycle used motor oil anymore?  Warfield FasGas used to be my goto, now they wont take it. Went by some shops in trail, none of them would take it, Canadian tire Trail now has a sign saying they wont accept it either.  Dump also won't take it.  

I thought anywhere that sold it had to take the used oil? 

I dont want to just toss it in the garbage but its getting more and more tempting! 

Canadian Tire Castlegar, Ernie's Used Auto Parts, Kalawski Chev & Hyundai

yeah I saw that list on BC recycles.  Just seems crazy to have to go to castlegar to drop off a jug of oil. I was hoping there was something closer

It is considered a Hazardous Waste, and there are a bunch of rules around that.  It's too bad, but we don't want their waste oil containers leaking into streams, etc.

If Canadian Tire (Trail) wants to sell us the stuff they better get off their duff and start accepting it for recycling.

I went through this recently. Can Tire doesn't accept it anymore They sent me to the dump which I thought was odd but went there anyway. Nope, dump doesn'tt take it. They said to try Ok Tire (across from Home Hardware) and they were great. She thought they might be the only place left in Trail that accepts it. I was under the impression, if you sold it you had to take it back, apparently not.

OK Tire is geat about it and they are very friendly. I started buying tires there just because of this service. Trail Canada tire on the other hand.........well one of the worst Canada Tire stores. Service manage is flat out rude.

Reward good service. Oil recycling is a service to the community.

OK Tire is geat about it and they are very friendly. I started buying tires there just because of this service. Trail Canada tire on the other hand.........well one of the worst Canada Tire stores. Service manage is flat out rude.

Reward good service. Oil recycling is a service to the community.

The BC USed Oil Management Association is terrible to deal with.

While I agree with some of the above comments (for example, that retailers ought to be obliged to take used containers, filters and old oil back), there is little to no incentive to collect those materials and then remit them to the BCUOMA.

The fact of the matter is that BCUOMA is difficult to deal with, their filing terms (and collecting money from them) a pain, not to mention the fact that operating a depot for a well-intentioned business turns into a mess- Not to hang this on the consumer, but everyone is somewhat to blame for the mess we're in with used oil and/or auto-fluids. Where drop-offs and disposal are concerned, unsupervised drop areas are often perceived as a license to drop anything and everything- Oil mixed with antifreeze mixed with diesel mixed with bacon grease, all in a leaky old milk carton? Not cool.

Most folks that used to collect and remit old oil and associated products don't do it anymore because of the constant policing necessary to keep unrelated and contaminated materials out of their site and/or custody. So while consumers may want to do the right thing, where oil and auto fluids are concerned it is getting progressively more difficult to dispose of these items in a timely, cost-effective fashion.

To comment on the current state of the program (or lack thereof locally), The BC Used Oil Management Association does maintain a website. http://bcusedoil.com/

Info from their "Contact" page is as follows:

General Program Administration, Membership, Return Incentives

For general information concerning program administration, membership, return incentives, contact:

BCUOMA Administrative Office
Suite 1008, Empire Building
10080 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 1V9
Tel (Toll Free): 1-866-254-0555
Fax: 780-414-1519
reception@usedoilrecycling.ca 

Technical Issues and Program Management

For specific technical issues and management of the program, contact:
David Lawes
Suite 341, 110 – 174 Wilson Street
Victoria, BC V9A 7N7